The people you select as your RCM facilitators will play a key role in the success of your RCM program. The RCM facilitators will have responsibilities in helping to select the equipment you choose to analyze, the depth or level or your analysis, and who will participate in the analysis. The selection of your RCM facilitators is in truth more important than the selection of what equipment or process you analyze. In making this selection you should be looking for a person who meets the following criteria:
- The RCM facilitator should be familiar with your process, but need not be a process or equipment expert. Experts too often bring with them bias on how the equipment should be operated or maintained.
- The RCM facilitator will be expected to facilitate a structured process, a series of questions that will lead a group to the correct level of maintenance. The facilitator should have demonstrated the ability to work with some type of structured process, in their career, that has led to process or equipment improvement. Good examples are SPC techniques, setting up corrective action guidelines, critical path planning or Root Cause Analysis.
- The RCM facilitator should have demonstrated the ability to facilitate a structured meeting. They will be expected to keep the RCM meetings on task and side conversations to a minimum. RCM is an in depth, structured process that can often generate off the subject discussions. The job of the facilitator is to know how and when to bring the meeting back on track to keep the RCM process going at a steady pace. The facilitator will be expected to motivate the group in many different ways, bringing out input from shy people, while at the same time controlling more dominant personalities. Leading RCM requires a person that must be confident enough in the RCM process to challenge the bias of an engineer or technician.
- The RCM facilitator should have demonstrated the ability to be a leader, while adhering to company values. One of the most important jobs of facilitating RCM is knowing how to lead a group to consensus while ignoring their bias. While facilitating RCM they will be leading a group through a series of questions. In doing this there is often the temptation to answer the questions for the group. It is important your facilitator understand and accept their role in this process is to be the expert in the RCM, while allowing the RCM team members to be the equipment experts.
- The RCM facilitator needs to have demonstrated above average computer skills. A large part of the facilitator’s job will be entering the analysis into a software package and preparing an analysis document. It is an expectation that your facilitator should be capable of entering this information into a software package, saving the information, and preparing a RCM document.
Other Helpful Suggestions
Open an internal job posting for your RCM position. The person who fills this position should be someone who wants the position. The person who truly wants this assignment will often work harder to ensure it succeeds than someone who was “hand picked” for a developmental assignment.
Have an existing RCM facilitator involved on your interviewing committee.
Demonstrated Leadership Ability – At least a full year in a position of leadership
Proven Facilitation Skills – This person has proven they are comfortable in leading meetings and group exercises.
Proven PLC Skills – Must be fully proficient at typing and working in MS Access/Excell
Print/Drawing Reading – Must be able to read and interpret electrical, mechanical, and control drawings.
Background – Reliability Engineer is most preferred, highly skilled technical background with an expert level of understanding of the skilled trades. Must possess strong process skills (Process or Industrial Engineers). Well developed interpersonal skills are a must.
- Audit/ Track
- Failure Finding
- Failure Modes
- Maintenance Planning
- Maintenance Strategy
- Malaysia Flight 370
- Performance Quality
- Predictive Maintenance
- Predictive Techcnologies
- proactive maintenance
- RCM Analysis
- RCM Facilitation
- RCM Facilitator
- RCM Facilitator Training
- RCM Training
- Reactive Maintenance
- Reliability Centered Maintenance
- Reliability Centered Maintenancec
- Reliability Maintenance