Vice President Joe Biden and his wife Jill will visit MCC (Monroe Community College) tomorrow as part of an initiative to improve the American workforce. Apparently some of the folks who live and work in Washington D.C. have gotten the message/idea that our Skilled Trades workforce isn’t what it used to be. A message that those of us who were fortunate enough to attend formal Skilled Trades Apprenticeships in the 70’s and 80’s have been screaming now for nearly two decades.
For those of you who have never attended a Skilled Trades Apprentice Program and now work in some type of Supervisory or Management position in Manufacturing, Engineering or Maintenance, this type of training is what separates the great from the average when it comes to maintenance technicians. For those working in HR (Human Resources), these are the workers we hope you send us when one of our folks with 40 years of experience are finally able to retire.
For those who are now in the process of attending, (My future son-in-law being one) the training you are now attending will change your life. In regard to your training, here is a list of my recommendations as you proceed with your apprenticeship;
- Pay attention to detail
- Seek out a good Journeyman who is also a program graduate as a mentor
- Try to work on as many different types of equipment as you can during your apprenticeship
- Hold on to your training materials
- Keep a daily or weekly diary of your experience and training
- Focus on doing precision work at all times because reliability begins at installation
- Remember your safety and those who work around you begins with YOU! Your family depends on you working safe every day!
- Take pride in what you do
- Share your knowledge with others freely
- Treat your tools like a Doctor treats his instruments, combined with your knowledge they are worth a fortune.
In closing, hang on tight, what you are about to learn and experience will change your life and your boundaries will soon be unlimited. Good Luck and God Bless the United States of America! It may have taken 20 years but someone finally listened!
- Audit/ Track
- Failure Finding
- Failure Modes
- Maintenance Planning
- Maintenance Strategy
- Malaysia Flight 370
- Performance Quality
- Predictive Maintenance
- Predictive Techcnologies
- proactive maintenance
- RCM Analysis
- RCM Facilitation
- RCM Facilitator
- RCM Facilitator Training
- RCM Training
- Reactive Maintenance
- Reliability Centered Maintenance
- Reliability Centered Maintenancec
- Reliability Maintenance